Tag Archives: Editing

Media Objects: Editing Assignment

 

This editing assignment proved quite difficult and frustrating for me, not in the technical aspect, I have edited many times before, but in the creative element. Editing together photos, audio and video of completely different things proved difficult. The final video, in my opinion is not very good but it is the best I could do with the limitations the criteria of the assignment set out. The assignment criteria, editing the photos and audio with a different theme to the one shot video, as well as finding royalty free footage to also put in, was really frustrating and does not allow me to accurately show my ability to edit. My biggest issue was trying to figure out a way to edit together a basketball video with photos of flowers and then put in audio completely different to both of them. After several attempts, the best way I found to edit random photos, video and audio together was the effect of zooming out of one part of Melbourne and into another part to connect the different videos, audio and photos. Before I started the editing I decided to attempt to follow the ‘flow’ theme rather than the impact. This required to have some sort of ‘story’ to adhere to some form of continuity. The idea of ‘what is happening around Melbourne’ seemed to, in my opinion, have some form of continuity to the piece. My aim prior to beginning this assignment was to adhere to some form of continuity, and the transition effect of zooming out of Melbourne and into another, although it needed more refinement, did created a sense of continuity.

I used Adobe Premiere which is a great program, much better than Final Cut Pro and it links to Adobe After Effects really well, which I used for the title of the video. For the title I used several techniques to achieve the effect including Masking, Blur effects, Pixel Polly and a plugin from videocopilot.net called Optical Flares. The royalty free videos I found were from achieve.org, which meant most of the footage was very poor quality. Unfortunately there was not much I was able to do to the videos except put an After Effects plugin on them called Neat Video which removes some of the grain in the videos. While this helped a little overall, as the videos were such poor quality, it did not make the difference I was hoping for.

For the zoom effects I used images from Google Earth and then matched closer images with further away images to achieve the effect. When I decided to use this transition effect I needed to find out what the copyright was for using Google Earth images. Fortunately Google allows users to use the images as long as the logo remains in the images. That is why the logo and writing from Google Earth is still on the zoom effect.

The sound effects were downloaded from freesound.org. The camera sounds I downloaded were high quality and I did not have to edit them in any way, which made the editing easier. The other sound effects I used were from a sound effect pack I purchased from Videocopilot.net a while back. These sound effects are really high level effects and ones I have used many times before and will continue to use. The sound effect I used from my previous audio assignment was a baseball hitting a fence which I used for the basketball hitting the backboard in the final video.

One aspect of the final piece I did not like was the cut from the zoom to the video and especially cutting from the video to the zoom effect again. The effect was abrupt but there were not many other ways I could have done it with the videos. I did try a fade transition from the video to the zoom but that did not work very well. Ideally if I had filmed a video knowing I would use that effect I would have a shot above what ever activity I was filming and then cut to the zoom effect. That transition would have been smoother but for obvious reason I was unable to do this. It is insightful however as with more refinement and no Google logo the effect could look a lot better.

Overall for my editing assignment, attempting to follow the theme of ‘flow’, in my opinion, was relatively successful. There were a few problems, bad image quality, logos on Google Earth images etc., but overall they were minor problems and the final video follows the criteria of the assessment.

 

Credits

Videos:

England Athletics Promo

Source: archive.org/details/JulianWellings-EnglandAthleticsPromoVideo603

Viewed: 25/5/2014

 

Name: Boat Ride

Source: archive.org/details/Boat_Ride

Viewed: 25/5/2014

 

Audio:

Author: Bratok999

Name: Click the camera

Source: freesound.org/people/Bratok999/sounds/173564/

Viewed: 26/5/2014

 

Author: Andrew Kramer

Name: Motion Pulse

Source: videocopilot.net/products/motionpulse/

Viewed: 26/5/14

Advertisements