Tag Archives: Digital Story

Review: Creative Suburbs Digital Story

As part of the digital story for CMWP Patrick Rebakis and Karen Young collaborated with Creative Suburbs to make this digital story. The video is really well done. The animations used throughout the video are really effective and put together with some great time-lapse shots and some really interesting photos of people holding up suggestions for creative suburbs in front of a graffiti wall, which is a successful Creative Suburbs project, is really effective in getting the point across. The animation, time-lapse and the photos are nicely coupled with the voice over from Patrick. The voice over was straight to the point, I knew from the first few seconds what the voice over what the video was about and it was able to hold your attention really well. The music also suits the video and what the video is trying to achieve.

One suggestion would be that during the video, where the other person speaks, we are told who he is and what he has to do with Creative Suburbs or the community. His statements are really good and it would benefit the audience if they know who he is because, from what I can tell, he seems to have experience in community work. One other suggestion is, although this is really minor, is that it would have been good to remove the wideo.com logo, but I understand that you have to pay to remove it so I do not blame you for leaving it, I would as well. Both those suggestions are just really minor because the video was really well done.

This video was really well done and Creative Suburbs should be extremely happy with what Patrick Rebakis and Karen Young have done, especially considering three of there group members dropped out really late in the project. I highly recommended having a look at this video and sharing it.

Advertisements

Digital Story: In Sight

The process of making a digital story was a great introduction into collaborative filmmaking. We decided to make a short film about a blind girls day-to-day life. The idea we were throwing around was make the short film in such a way that the audience did not know the girl was blind until the very end of the piece. This made the film a little tricky, as we could not show the eyes of the blind girl until the very end. This meant a lot of different angles were used to hide her eyes.

We were lucky enough that Bo knew someone who owned a restaurant on St Kilda beach so we were able to film in there which made for some great scenes. When we filmed on the beach the sun was beginning to set so we were able to film some beautiful shots of the sun setting and put it into the piece. The collaboration process went very smoothly, which was really lucky because this was a fairly large and ambitious project for what I was used to doing. My group members Bo Dechphant and Matthew Masyuko were really great group members.  At the beginning of the subject, when we were forming groups Bo and I ended up as a group because we just happened to be sitting near each other which was turned out great and then Matthew came in a little later and he proved to be a great person to have on the team. We each had our job and we were each able to complete it successfully. It was a great learning experience for me Bo and Matthew both knew a lot and I learned a lot about the film making process from both of them.

We did encounter some small problems. One of our biggest issues was that during day two of filming, during the beach and restaurant scenes we did not realize until after the filming was over and the footage had been uploaded there were dust specs on the lens of the camera. This meant that we had to go through all the day two footage and try to remove it in post-production. This was frustrating as it meant we had to spend even more time on editing, which by itself was a relatively lengthy process. The way we went about removing the dust specs was to, in After Effects, create a new solid the same colour as the background and then feather it. This was a great solution to shots where the background colour did not change at all, however for shot where the background colour did change it became really difficult to remove the dust and make it so it did not draw attention to the spec of dust. For the shots we struggled to remove the dust spec on we did a blur effect to try and draw attention away from the problem areas. Overall this issue was a great learning experience to always check your lens before you begin filming. The final problem we encountered was due to just running out of time. We had planned to create a 3d sound scape to try to enhance the project but due to scheduling issues we were unable to do the 3d sound unfortunately but that was not our biggest priority and the 2d sound we have in the final film is still amazing and works really well throughout the digital story.

As far as the distribution process of the digital story we decided the best way to advertise it was to firstly post it on YouTube. YouTube is where most of the views will come from. There are of course other video sharing websites like Vimeo but they do not have anywhere near the same user size as YouTube does. The next part of the distribution process is using social media to get the film out and known. We decided to blog about the film, tweet about it and make a Facebook page for the film.